Thursday, December 31, 2009

I have just spoken to a debt collection company and they won't accept my payment?

Resolved Question

I have just spoken to a debt collection company and they won't accept my payment?

I'm currently on benefit after being made redundant and after I have paid my bills and the shortfall in my rent I will be £40 overdrawn every month (and that's without buying any food).
I have had a letter from a debt agency regarding some money I owe and have offered them £2 per month as a token payment (the debt is £2000 but it's only until I find work). They have stated the lowest they will accept is £30 and that unless I pay that they will take me to court. They said it's because I pay £70 per month for Sky, phone and Internet but they are all contracts and I cannot decrease those payments.
What am I supposed to do? She refused to give me their bank details so I can't send a token payment.

Additional Details

I know the payments for Sky etc are expensive but I was working when I got all that so it didn't matter.
I'm in the middle of contracts so I can't cut the payments at the moment.

2 weeks ago

I have spoken to Sky and BT and they will not decrease the payments as it's in the contract period!
If I pay less on those I'll end up in more debt so there is nothing I can do about those payments!

2 weeks ago

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

If they will not accept payment then do not pay them. If they summons you to the county court for non payment you will be sent a means form by the court. Fill this in and return it to the court. I do hope that the Debt Collectors refusal of your offer was in the form of a letter and that you have kept it. (If not then you should write to them by recorded delivery to confirm your offer. Keep a copy of your letter as proof of your offer). Take it to the court and show it to the judge. Given your financial situation the offer you have made is reasonable. (The court would not expect you to renege on other legally binding contracts which you entered into before you were made redundant). If the Debt Collectors take you to court after refusing to accept a reasonable offer then they will pay the courts costs and will have to accept the offer whether they like it or not.
67% 8 Votes

There are currently no comments for this question.

Other Answers (10)

  • Im totally in agreement with the others. CAB is there for situations like this. I am just about to start a Debt Relief Order, and i feel like a weight has been lifted. I cant wait to answer my fone and door without being scared that its a debt agency.
    Good Luck with ur current situation, and with the quest of finding a new job.
    :-)
    0% 0 Votes
  • OK HERE GOES A BALIEFF IS OBLIGED UNDER COURT TO ACT RESPONSIBLE AND ACCEPT PAYMENT THAT PEOPLE CAN RESONABLY AFFORD SO SEND THEM A LETTER STATING I HAVE OFFERED A [PAYMENT WHICH U ARE NOT WILLING TO ACCEPT HOWEVER I REQUIRE YOU TO SEE ME FOR THE SUM OFF £2000 HOWEVER THE SUM OF £2 A MONTH IS STILL OPEN FOR YOU TO ACCEPT I WORK FOR C A B
    0% 0 Votes
  • here in the U.S. if a business, bill collector, collection agency refuses payment then the debt is totally cleared off.

    /jabril
    0% 0 Votes
  • Go bankrupt, and they will have to settle for far less, plus you can then cancel sky and sell PC . Also just have basic free TV , no premiums ,,
    0% 0 Votes
  • Citizens Advice Bureau should be your first port of call.

    And £70 per month on Sky, phone & broadband? You need to cut that for a start!
    8% 1 Vote
  • The golden rule when dealing with debt collectors, is never to ring them! They will say things to you on the phone that they would never put in writing in a million years. Plus, the person you spoke to is working on commission. She doesn't care if you have no money for food. Always, always write to them from now on.

    Another bluff is to threaten to take you to court. They never do because they are on a sticky wicket from the start and the courts throw out 99% of their claims. In fact, going to court could work in your favour. If the court said you have to pay £2 a month, that is what they have to accept.

    I would contact the original creditor and offer them the payment. If it is a bank, they will have written the money off to balance their books. Ignore the debt collectors. Write to them asking them to provide you with the original credit agreement signed by yourself. Ask them to prove that they are authorised to collect this debt. You will surprised at how many aren't and more than one debt collector will try to collect the same debt!

    Follow the links for further advice. If they ring you, ask them who they are and what they want. If they ask for you by name, keep control of the conversation by asking who they are and what they want. Do not answer questions for security. You don't know who they are and they can't prove who they are over the phone. If they get stroppy and start threatening you, put the phone down, but don't hang up and walk away.

    You will have to reduce your Sky package though if you want to be taken seriously about gaining control of your debts.

    Source(s):

    8% 1 Vote
  • You are going to have to default on something .... personally I would start by ringing Sky and telling them you can't afford to pay anymore .. tell them they will have to switch you to a cheaper package or you will simply just stop paying them anything ..

    Sky might suggest you are 'tied in' but you DON'T owe them £2000 .. and when they try to stick you with the costs for the rest of the Contract, it's highly unlikely they will take it to Court = and if they do, the Court is unlikely to be very sympathetic since they want money for FUTURE services which I bet they will not be supplying ('cos i bet they cut you off as soon as you stop paying)..)

    When if comes to the mobile phone, plainly you will have to switch to a 'pay as you go' ...

    For Internet there are still some low cost 'dial up' options (you don't have to keep paying for Broadband = and you can use your local library or (if you have a laptop) check out your local area for a few free 'WiFi' hotspot)

    Next I would suggest there are plenty other things you are paying well over the odds for .. start by looking at your Standing Orders and Direct debits .. you should try to cancel everything (except Council Tax and Utilities).... and talking of Utilities, have you checked for a cheaper deal on combined Gas/Electricity recently ?

    I suggest a visit to MoneySavingExpert .. (before your Internet is cut off :-) )


    And the Debt Collectors ??? well they lie all the time .. so take a tip from them .. call them up again and ask them for details on how to pay off the full amount by Bank Transfer .. and then send them the £2 ...

    Source(s):

    0% 0 Votes
  • Don't worry about those "debt Collectors", they are not legally registered and cannot enter your property.
    Once they have taken the first of your payment, it is exactly like if they had officially accepted your offer. As long as you pay or even tell them you are willing to pay, there is not a damn thing they can do and it will never go to tribunal.
    If they insist, tell them you will have them sued for harassment. They will back off pretty quick.



    My source ? experience of the same problem.
    But I also promised that I will hurt anyone coming to my door, he he he !
    17% 2 Votes
  • I never pay debt collectors - EVER - I don't care what country you live in.
    If I owe a debt I pay the person I owe it to and only that person!
    Send the person you actually owe the money what you offered to the debt collector with an explanation that when you get employment that they will receive more. As long as you are paying something they won't take you to court, and if they do the court will at least see that you are trying to pay something.
    0% 0 Votes
  • Yes, I agree with the other posters - Citizens Advice is your first port of call for sure.

    I would also suggest that you speak to Sky, your phone company and internet etc and see what they can do in terms of your payments. £70 a month on such things when you are out of work and struggling seems ridiculous to me - as they certainly aren't life's necessities.

    If I were the debt collection company you offered me £2 instead of the £30 a month I wanted, claiming you can't afford more, but can spend £70 on Sky etc, I wouldn't be very impressed that's for sure !
    0% 0 Votes

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogroll

Site Info

Text

Credit Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template